Web Hosting Companies Have Gone Green
Conserving energy has become a widely discussed topic that has evolved into a movement commonly referred to as “going green.” Major companies have started using and manufacturing more energy efficient equipment, hybrid cars have been engineered to reduce fuel consumption, and now web hosts have jumped on the bandwagon. Many hosts have gone green and have begun powering their facilities with solar and wind power. Here are a few of the hosts doing their part to reduce energy consumption.
- Affordable Internet Services Online (ASIO) – ASIO uses solar panels to power their data center and solar tubes to provide lighting. The ECO-1 hosting plans start at $9.99 per month offering 500 MB of storage space and 5 GB of bandwidth. They also offer a competitive package of features standard to each hosting plan. Don’t be too quick to judge the smaller storage and bandwidth limits; this isn’t always a bad thing.
- ThinkHost – ThinkHost is fully embracing the “go green” movement and is powered by 100% renewable energy sources. They also take it a step further and plant a tree for every new customer they get. Their green hosting plan starts at $7.95 per month, offering 100 GB of storage space and 1000 GB of bandwidth. Along with storage and bandwidth, ThinkHost offers a competitive package of features that comes standard with the hosting package.
- ecoSky – ecoSky is powered by solar and wind energy; it is clean and renewable. They use a grid system to store excess energy created when they aren’t in need of it and are able to use it if they are in need of more power than is being produced. They offer a personal hosting plan starting at $19.99 per month with a $25.00 set-up fee. The personal plan offers 500 MB of storage space and 5000 MB of bandwidth. Each plan offers some of the typical features; however, they don’t list the software versions that are installed on the servers. I would ask for that information first if you are considering purchasing a plan.
- GreenestHost – GreenestHost is 100% solar powered, relying on zero renewable energy credits and producing zero emissions. Although the front page advertises 5 hosting plans starting at $9.95 per month, I was only able to locate 3 hosting plans starting at $24.95. They offer a competitive features package with their hosting plans, but the price is quite a bit higher than the other hosts listed.
- Solar Energy Host – Their data centers are 100% solar powered, creating no greenhouse gases. This host is focused mainly on hosting with Joomla, the popular open source CMS software. Eco hosting plans start at $9.95, offering 500 MB of storage space and 3 GB of bandwidth. The features pacakage included with these hosting plans are less robust than the previously listed hosts because they are centered around Joomla.
Disclaimer: This list does not take into account any reviews or ratings for the hosts listed. This list is just to show available options. Please take the time to research specifics before signing up.